The microwave has become an essential appliance in many kitchens, and for good reason. It's a convenient and time-saving way to cook a variety of dishes, from simple snacks to full-course meals.
Here are just a few of the things you can make in the microwave:
- Breakfast: Porridge, eggs
- Lunch & dinner: Fish, meat, soups, pasta, rice, noodles, and vegetables
- Snacks: Mug cakes, popcorn
In addition to cooking meals, the microwave can also be used to:
- Defrost food: The microwave is a great way to defrost frozen food quickly and easily
- Reheat leftovers: The microwave is perfect for reheating leftovers without overcooking them
With a little creativity, you can use the microwave to cook a variety of delicious and satisfying meals. So next time you're short on time or just don't feel like cooking, don't forget about the microwave!
Here are a few ideas:
- 2 eggs
- 30mL low-fat milk
- 30g mushrooms
- 20g red capsicum
- 1 tbsp parsley leaves
- 20g low-fat grated cheddar cheese
- 50g lean ham
- Beat the eggs and milk together, and add your sliced mushrooms, capsicum, parsley, cheese and ham.
- Pour the mixture into a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring at 30 second intervals, until the eggs are at your desired consistency.
Energy 112 Cal, Protein 37.4g, Fat 14.6g, Saturated Fat 6.2g, Carbs 3.9g, Sugars 3.4g
Banana bread mug cake
- ½ medium banana, mashed
- 1 tbsp milk of choice
- 2 tsp runny peanut butter
- 1 tbsp sugar free maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup oats, blended into a flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 5 walnuts
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl. The consistency should be similar to a cake batter, add more milk if required.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, and then at 20 second intervals until the edges of the mug cake are slightly pulling away from the mug.
- Top with crushed walnuts and let cool for 2-3 minutes before eating! Nice warm breakfast option.
Energy 307 Cal, Protein 9.0g, Fat 17.6g, Saturated Fat 2.7g, Carbs 24.0g, Sugars 9.3g
Microwave Baked Potatoes:
- 1 medium potato (~160g)
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 pinch chives, chopped
- 20g reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Pierce the potato several times with a fork to create vents.
- Place it on a microwave-safe plate and cook on high for 5-8 minutes, turning halfway through, until the potato is soft and cooked.
- Top with Greek yoghurt, chives, and 20g of grated light cheese.
- Serve with a lean source of protein and salad for a perfectly balanced meal,
Energy 181 Cal, Protein 11.5g, Fat 5.2g, Saturated Fat 3.3g, Carbs 19.8g, Sugars 5.4g
Skip the pre-packaged microwave popcorn filled with salt and butter, and make your own healthier version.
- Place ¼ cup of corn kernels in a microwave-safe bowl, cover it with a microwave-safe plate, leaving a small vent for steam to escape.
- Microwave on high for 2-4 minutes, or until the popping slows down to 2 seconds between pops.
- Season with your favourite spices or a sprinkle of salt.
Energy 64 Cal, Protein 2.0g, Fat 0.6g, Saturated Fat 0.2g, Carbs 11.3g, Sugars 2.0g
Kale Chips (serves 2)
- 150g chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 20g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- Arrange 2-inch kale pieces onto microwave-safe plates so they do not overlap.
- Drizzle olive oil over the kale and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Cook each plate of kale in the microwave until crispy, in 30 second intervals for 2 to 2.5 minutes per batch.
- Season with salt
Energy 126 Cal, Protein 6.8g, Fat 8.7, Saturated Fat 2.8g, Carbs 3.9g, Sugars 1.7g
Here are some additional tips for cooking in the microwave:
- Use microwave-safe cookware: Not all cookware is safe to use in the microwave. Make sure to use microwave-safe dishes, bowls, and utensils.
- Cover your food: Covering your food helps to prevent splattering and helps the food cook evenly.
- Microwave in short bursts: Cooking in short bursts helps to prevent the food from overcooking.
- Check the food frequently: It's important to check the food frequently while it's cooking in the microwave. This will help you to prevent the food from overcooking.
With these tips in mind, you'll be able to cook delicious and satisfying meals in the microwave in no time!