INGREDIENTS (serves 24)
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1/4 tsp salt
11/2 cups unsweetened coconut (fine)
11/2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut (wide)
4 egg whites
2/3 cup sugar
2 tbs sugar-free maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla paste
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Whisk together flour, salt and both kinds of coconut
- In a double boiler or metal bowl suspended above a pot of barely simmering water, whisk the eggwhites with stevia, maple syrup, and vanilla until mixture is warm to the touch and opaque. Remove from heat and pour over the dry ingredients. Fold to combine and set aside for 15 minutes to allow the coconut to absorb some of the liquid.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 160°C. Form mixture into 2-3cm balls and place on a lined baking tray.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown, rotating the baking tray halfway through cooking.
- Let macaroons cool, then drizzle with melted chocolate