We’ve all heard the saying “when you fail to plan, you plan to fail”, and this couldn’t be more true when it comes to planning Christmas whilst on your weight loss journey. Christmas can feel like a whirlwind and it’s easy to get caught up in everything that’s happening and lose focus on your goals. Having a plan in place can keep you on your path and help you to block out the noise so that you can have a good time while maintaining or even losing weight.
Here are our top tips to help you maintain a healthy balance this Christmas.
- Schedule in your exercise so that you can stay active throughout the holidays. It’s a busy period and if you don’t claim your time, somebody or something else will. Keep your movement a non-negotiable in your life.
- Continue with menu planning and food preparation as usual. You can continue to eat normally for most, if not all meals each day, and only stray from your routine when you have a party or gathering that adds value to your life. One party doesn’t mean the whole day is a write-off!
- Plan to segment your days. We mentioned choosing parties or events that add value to your life, and enjoying these is a part of celebrating the holidays! Choose the ones that you want to attend and then segment your day around them, so that you can stay on track for most of the day and get right back to it once the event is over.
- Decide your alcohol limits before events. Could this be an alcohol free event, or would you be happy to have 1 glass then switch to soda water? If you decide before you go, you’re less likely to give in to peer pressure or temptation!
- Finally, consider the courage to change. It can be intimidating to tell people ‘no’ when they frame it as wanting you to have a good time. Think about what is most important to you, and focus on your values and the life that you want to live to help you stand firm in your decisions.