Christmas in Australia is a beautiful time of year, with warm days and (often) time off work. This makes it the perfect time to get active and enjoy the outdoors. Not sure how to have an active Christmas? Here are some ideas for you.
- If you have a pool, now is the perfect time to break out the swimmers. You could play marco polo, pool volleyball, or just have a contest to see who can jump in and make the biggest splash!
- Did you get new bikes for Christmas? Or have some hanging around unused from last Christmas? Jump right on and go for a cycle around your neighbourhood. You may get to say hello to your neighbours, feel a sense of community, and get some physical activity at the same time.
- If you have a dog, get them in on the action and take them for an extra special, extra long Christmas day walk. This would be a great time to visit the dog park and play a game of Christmas fetch with any new Christmas toys your dog received.
- Head to the beach and enjoy some beach cricket or volleyball, or splash around in the waves. Make sure you apply plenty of sunscreen and stay hydrated!
- If all else fails, taking a footy to the local park to kick around and have a friendly game is always a safe option. Take some cut up fruit for snacks, heaps of water, and settle in for an afternoon of activity.
Christmas doesn’t have to spent entirely around a table. There’s lots of options for getting outdoors and enjoying all that the holidays have to offer. It’s also a great time to model healthy behaviours for little ones, so plan to have an active Christmas this year.